With homeschooling young kids in current scenarios its difficult to get them to study through only one method or practice the same things regularly. The early years of education have many challenges where they are introduced to concepts of language and basic logical skills , numerical skills. The knowledge achieved needs to be repeatedly practiced and corrected by helping the child connect to differences in the concepts or elements being taught. The main challenge is getting them to get to study and practice regularly but can be done by developing an interest to learn and need to learn those concept. This can be developed by helping them solve activity worksheets which apply these concepts. Also hands on or Diy activities are good way of interactively doing and trying to understand those concepts by small activities or homemade simple activity projects.
With the young age explaining them directly about the language , concepts and their marked differences becomes boring and difficult for the child to grasp or memorize in one go. The easier way to keep him interested and form a repeated practice and accordingly work on remedial action is through worksheets or diy activities. Also kids always find it interesting to learn from different sources though its the same concept .
The goodness of worksheets it does not just focus on one skill like tracing , identifying , matching , sorting but the idea is to combine all these skills attractively with questions based on activities with a scenario in a game or pictorial form. These can be regular worksheets available age wise or custom made to check specific skills just taught / clear those ambiguities between elements taught / clear the concept in real examples .
For early years some basic activity worksheets that can be made as the child progress ( remember to make them attractive with pictures or cartoon characters or images they connect well) :
- Maths based activities :
- to teach them to count , draw a required number of objects , match the count to objects -practices counting
- to teach them series or order of numbers , fill in missing numbers , backward and forward series sometimes with skip – practices number system
- Comparing of objects and number of items with queries to identify smaller/bigger , shorter / longer or more/less helps them apply those concepts with examples.
- Basic shapes and matching objects that denotes the shape , striking the odd one that does not match a shape , a sequence of pattern, identifying the pattern , complete the pattern or fill in.
- English based activities :
- teach them to make proper pairs of caps and small letters – let them identify a particular alphabet from a cloud , match the starting sounds to objects
- identifying CVC words through pictures , or completing the words based on sound of begining , middle or last letter in CVC.
- Different vocabulary worksheets to understand doing words , describing words or position words, through pictures.
- EVS based activities:
- Basic body parts and sensory organs their uses or functions , worksheets helping them understand actions and which senses to use.
- Emotions , manners or life skills activity sheets. Rules and safety worksheets. Asking them to identify correct actions or match correct rules to be followed at a place.
- Animal kingdom , babies , houses or habitats. Worksheets helping them identify , match or make proper pairs.
- Seasons their different characteristics like clothing , food , weather , activities helping them differentiate what is used or describes a season .Matching the right pictures or scenarios
- Different professions , their equipment’s or place of work. Understanding the various tools , vocabulary , function .
- Theme based activities : based on a current festival like Diwali , Christmas , thanksgiving. A coloring based activities using number and alphabets. story based activities related values or skills or coloring or logical or quantitative skills.
Many a times an activity, diy activities makes it more interesting to learn a topic because of its interactive nature like a custom made calendar activity to denote and make various parts of the date , or puzzle to match letters caps or small, flashcards to sort season based items , match items to a particular place like classroom or hospital. A diy project to understand sequence of numbers or a large Cut out to understand those mirror image patterns like b,d ; c,).These diy activities can be made from simple things like pom pom. threads , basket , balls , pencils and making creative activities to develop fine motor skills , maths skills or cognitive skills.
Activity worksheets and diy based activities made for kids serve best in early years of education to help them practice keeping the interest intact so that they don’t feel bored .
For ready made worksheets age wise, topic wise there are many free content available or you can make your own worksheets . For diy activities there are many ideas by some parents and groups , pages that i will share here. Below are some useful links for worksheets and diy activities that I found useful.
(Image source :http://clipart-library.com/clipart/15041.htm)