Measurement basics are introduced in grade1 discussion of measurements around us, how we are to use and how it makes things easy to evaluate , estimate , various ways and instruments , measurement system, learning to make comparisons and choices. Yes its too much information to process presented totally from a formal point of view.
Introducing measurement giving them examples of real life example helps them to connect better –
- Checking for clothes , shoes sizes and numbers mentioned on the item to make correct choice of fitting.
- Checking how tall you have grown with a scale or tape and comparing with others or self over a period of time.
- The grocery store scale where food grains, flours , items are measured for a particular weight and money to pay is calculated.
- How liquid packings like milk , medicine , oil , juices have number mentioned that tells the quantity it holds. How flour , spices and pulses and cereals are marked using a different unit.
- How doctor and people have been using thermometer around to check temperature , temperature of hot and cold objects compared , the room temperature with ac and without , the weather and temperature
- How time in the clock and the calendar helps us to measure and keep track the time in relation to work we do , events , special days , measuring our age and comparing .
- And every time you are in a vehicle bus or bike you can find the speed with which you are moving using the speedometer right in front of the driver.
This help kids understand how there is a basic measurement system for measuring length , weight and volume of liquids and the units used .Conversions of units and types of measurement system.Inntroduce them to both standard and non standard ways to measure – using hands , feet or another object .Make sure to cover details based on childs understanding and level of schooling.
To move further help them understand how these measurements help us making comparisons ,create information and comparisons based on information .Make a decision of how a product is cheaper or costly , how eatables are nutritious or healthy comparing their nutrient value( basic vitamin knowledge and health benefits). Making choices based on comparisons of benefits, usability , lifetime of the items.
Its important to introduce measurement and comparisons as a use in daily life to be able to connect to its usability. Every concept needs to be introduced with a real life connectivity to help young minds to actually understand the reason behind learning and find more ways to use the knowledge achieved.